Sunday, February 14, 2010

Religion in Jerusalem Stinks

I’m annoyed, but I’ll get over it.


Herein lies my childish commentary on Religion in the City of Jerusalem: it stinks.

Really, religion anywhere stinks. But, its smell is especially bad in what has potential to be the holiest of all places on earth.

Don’t get me wrong: I am thoroughly enjoying this once-in-a-lifetime experience in the Holy Land. But, I was enjoying it much more when we were in Galilee. There, it was peaceful, green, quiet…a place where one feels he can connect with God. Experiencing both places (Galilee first and now “the city”—Jerusalem) I have an even deeper respect for Jesus’ determination to finish what he started by leaving that paradise and going to this pit (Luke 9.51).

First, the Jews

They are probably the smallest of the problems—at least they are for me. Today, though, one of the Jewish vendors did call me a “liar” and told me to “hit the road, Jack!” because I told him I had a meeting to get to in the Christian Quarter at 11 o’clock. I was being honest, so he must have sensed my complete lack of interest in the junk he was peddling.

I guess we won’t be eating pork chop sandwiches together now. Oh well. Jesus still loves him. I think he’s a jerk, but Jesus loves him.

I am bothered by the Zionist movement—even more so after visiting here. I see myself writing (or ranting, take your pick) on that topic later. (With apologies to my Baptist/dispensational friends, of course.)

For the Jews, I feel more sorrow than anything. They eagerly wait on the Messiah, yet they wait for nothing. Our tour guide (a semi-devout Jew from my perspective) explained to us that Jesus couldn’t be the Messiah because “he was only a man.” I wanted to talk to him about Hebrews 2.17-18 or Paul’s explanation of “ekenosen” (ἐκένωσεν, Phil 2.7), but I doubt that it would do much good.

(1 Cor 1.23, NLT)
“So when we preach that Christ was crucified, the Jews are offended and the Gentiles say it’s all nonsense.”

The Muslims

The most offensive and repulsing group of people I’ve met. I’m not saying that because we have differing beliefs. People disagree with me every day. I don’t mind: you can be wrong if you want.

I don’t like these people though; they’re mean. I can love them because Jesus tells me to, but I don’t have to like them.

Everything they do is spiteful. The world calls Christianity close-minded while the Muslim world spray paints our buildings, defaces our crosses, and openly and officially (by religious mandate) degrades all “infidels” with personal attacks irrespective of individual morality or basic humanity. I can respect a Jew, Buddhist, or even a Muslim if he’s a respectful man: provides for his family, calls his momma on the phone, and cheers for the Colts. But, we simply don’t see open-minded love coming out of this community.

For example, the Jews have a cemetery on the Mount of Olives to eagerly await the coming Messiah. The Muslims planted their own cemetery mirrored across the Kidron Valley, just outside the eastern gate to Jerusalem. Not because they need the space, but because they think by “defiling” this ground, it will prevent the Messiah from coming back into the city. For that same reason, Muslim rulers in the 7th Century sealed the Golden Gate shut.

Whatever. Jesus and Chuck Norris can just step over your sealed gate.

Perhaps most offensive is the massive tumor on the city—the Dome of the Rock. Built over the site of the Jewish Temple, it stands as a flagrant middle finger in the face of Jews and Christians. At the risk of sounding immature, I want to say: “We got there first! Go somewhere else.” (Yes, I know the Jews are probably telling us the same thing, but I admitted up front I was immature.)

Oh well. The Bible says the Messiah will come back and split the city in two. Let’s hope it happens over the dome of the rock.

Zechariah 14:4–9 (NLT)
4 On that day his feet will stand on the Mount of Olives, east of Jerusalem. And the Mount of Olives will split apart, making a wide valley running from east to west. Half the mountain will move toward the north and half toward the south.5 You will flee through this valley... Then the Lord my God will come, and all his holy ones with him.6 On that day the sources of light will no longer shine,7 yet there will be continuous day! Only the Lord knows how this could happen…9 And the Lord will be king over all the earth. On that day there will be one Lord—his name alone will be worshiped.

Amen.

The Christians

In all respects, they are the most malignant group in the city. At least in relation to me, which is really all that matters here.

Specifically, I’m talking about the Eastern Orthodox thugs who dominate the Christian Holy sites. They assume ownership of places like the birthplace of Jesus, the site of the crucifixion, and the tomb. This bothers me for several reasons:

1. They’re gaudy.

  • How in the world have we moved from the simplicity of a Jewish carpenter dying on a cross to incense, robes, icons, and hanging chandelier lamps?
  • It’s disgusting, and I mean that in Christian love of course.

2 Corinthians 11:3 (NASB95)
3 But I am afraid that, as the serpent deceived Eve by his craftiness, your minds will be led astray from the simplicity and purity of devotion to Christ.

2. They’re mean.

  • They yell, shove, and pound on the nearest donation box if you step out of line or break one of their rules when attempting to venerate a site holy to all of Christendom.

John 17:21 (NLT)
21 I pray that they will all be one, just as you and I are one—
as you are in me, Father, and I am in you.
And may they be in us so that the world will believe you sent me.

3. They’re wrong.

  • They own the place, and they have the power. Just ask them. They’ll tell you.
    • Well, what about the rest of the Jesus-believing, Bible-reading, bacon-eating world Christ died for?
  • How does a hairy guy in black robes outrank me or any of my sisters/brothers in Christ when it comes to worshiping at the Foot of the Cross?
    • He doesn’t.

Philippians 2:2 (NLT)
2 Then make me truly happy by agreeing wholeheartedly
with each other, loving one another,
and working together with one mind and purpose.

1 Timothy 2:8 (NLT)
8 In every place of worship, I want men to pray
with holy hands lifted up to God,
free from anger and controversy.

My problem here is a Christian reproduction of the very same religious thinking Jesus came to nuke. It was wrong 2000 years ago, and it’s still wrong today.

Case in Point:

  • A Muslim holds the keys to the Church of the Holy Sepulcher because the bickering Christian factions would lock each other out if one gained dominating control.
  • Muslim police patrol the very same church to maintain good order and obedience to the schedule amongst Christian brothers.

I think a Christian Alexander the Great would have something to say to those calling themselves Christians yet attempting to rule religiously:

“Change your behavior or change your name.”

OK, I’m done.

In the past, I’ve been critical of the Crusades and the Crusaders’ general lack of Jesus-like decision-making skills. But, being here, walking through the city, seeing the immense disrespect and blasphemy thrown at the Living God makes me reconsider.

I wonder how I’d get caught up in the “holy wars” if I lived during the 11th or 12th century. I’d probably end up being a Crusader if Jesus hadn’t already told me it was a bad idea. Something about turning the other cheek…blessed are the peacemakers….

My conclusion? I love Jesus, but I don’t like this city. I can do without it.

By the Grace of God go I,
-bill

6 comments:

  1. I loved the comment about liking the Colts! You rock!! I am so glad you are enjoying yourself. I look forward to your return and hearing all about your experiences in person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like the trip is doing more to hurt your attitude that to be an uplifting experience?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, not at all. If anything, it's made me much more dedicated to the cause of Christ. Seeing people abusing religion should only make us more determined to right the wrongs in Christian love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One more thing: Jesus saw religion abused, got mad about it, and then did something to fix it. That's exactly what we're called to do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "change your behavior or change your name" I love this line. Me

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoyed your ranting and raving. I think the negatives of the city caused each of us to do some deep reflection on how Jesus must have felt when encountering the stiff necked crowd in Jerusalem. As you mentioned it doesn't appear to have changed much in 2000 years. Our world view and especially our world view of religion took on more depth by the experiences we had in Jerusalem. I could also be a happy camper going back to Galillee and spending 2 full weeks in that quiet serene and peaceful place. A definite difference from the chaotic Jerusalem. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Great job. Cleveland

    ReplyDelete